Every month, some of our sangha get together online to discuss dharma and how it plays out in our daily lives. At the moment, we are meeting every other Saturday at 10am -11am (UK time). Everyone is welcome – read on to find out more.
Next meeting: July 4th, 2020, 10am – 11am (UK time)
on Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/6325532696
(Please contact Zoe at email@example.com for the password to enter the meeting)
Before the next session, find some space to read these four noble truths and observe what comes up for you:
1. The truth of suffering (dukkha) 2. The truth of the cause of suffering (samudaya) 3. The truth of the end of suffering (nirhodha) 4. The truth of the path that frees us from suffering (magga)
This is just one possible translation of the four noble truths. If you have time, do look for alternative translations and see if they resonate with you in the same way.
Why meet online?
Our sangha is spread far and wide across many countries and the time between retreats can be long. Online meetings are one way of bridging this gap as they create a way for us to connect more often and to get to know each other ‘in the world’, while keeping dharma as the focus.
The sessions will evolve over time, and what we discuss will depend a little on who comes along each time, but the idea is that we create a space where we can share dharma-related experiences and questions that come up for us in our daily lives. Before each session, I (Zoe) will send out some material to read, listen to online or reflect upon to help focus and guide our discussion, but there will also be space for you to raise other questions if you wish to. Much of the material will come from Doug and Catherine’s website, Planet Dharma.
My experience of online spaces like this has been that there will always be someone present who can offer a new insight that takes you deeper, or who helps you find a new (and maybe better) question to ask or way of seeing things.
What will we discuss?
Our current theme is the Four Noble Truths. These four truths are said to contain the essence of the Buddha’s teachings and they are the principles that came to him as he meditated under the bodhi tree, over 2500 years ago.
The first reflection is to read these four truths and reflect on how they resonate with you. As we proceed, we will explore each truth in more detail as well as related dharma teachings. I’ll be adding new reflections as we go.
Where and when do we meet?
Last Saturday of the month, 10.00am – 11.00am (UK) on Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/6325532696 (Please contact Zoe at firstname.lastname@example.org for the password to enter the meeting)
What else do I need to know?
- You don’t have to come along to every session – come to whichever meetings you are able to.
- If you can email me to let me know you’re coming, that would be helpful.
- If you haven’t used Zoom before, it is very easy. You don’t need your own account. Just follow the link above and if you are asked for a meeting number, type in the numbers from the link. You can join the meeting by audio only or with a video camera as well – the choice is yours. You will need to email me to get the password for your first meeting.
- Following the tradition in this lineage, there is a virtual dana bowl at each meeting and all money donated will go towards supporting Doug and Catherine’s next retreat in Europe. I’ll share details of how to donate in the meeting.
- The meetings are open to anyone who might be interested in hearing more and meeting Doug and Catherine in the future.
If you have any questions or would like to be added to the monthly mailing about the online meetings please email Zoe at email@example.com
Looking forward to meeting you soon!